Join NYJW Access!
Do you want to play jazz, but don't know where to start?
Are you a young jazz musician who wants to improve your skills?
NYJW Access is an exciting initiative aimed at young Welsh musicians who are new to jazz or who would like to develop their skills further. During the 3 day residential course students work on performance, ensemble playing, improvisation, stylistic awareness and jazz harmony under the guidance of our team of expert tutors.
Please read carefully the notes below before you click on the application form on the bottom of the page.
- Candidates are accepted for audition on the approval of their county Head of Music Service (or his/her authorised representative or equivalent) and are expected to support music activity at school/college and county level. Where county activity does not exist, the Head of Department in school or college may initially support applications.
- Candidates should be between 12 and 21 years old on 31st August 2010 (or 22 if still in full-time education).
- Players must be available for all course and concert dates. Please check your availability before applying.
During the 15 minute informal audition you will be asked to perform the following:
- a prepared solo (ideally from the current ABRSM Jazz syllabus) or a solo transcription (with CD accompaniment, where possible)
- an excerpt (this will be sent to you in advance)
- some scales and arpeggios
- (optional) improvisation on a 12 bar blues
For full details of the audition procedure along with tips on how to prepare fully CLICK HERE
AUDITIONS ARE FREE OF CHARGE but you are required to pay £20.00 as a deposit. This payment will be returned to you if you attend your appointment at the agreed time. Those failing to appear for the auditions will forfeit the payment.
Auditions will take place in November at the centres and dates given below. You should indicate on the application form which centre you would like to attend. We will contact you with details of your appointment in October.
AUDITION DATES & VENUES
Sun 13 Nov (Cardiff)
These arrangements are based on the typical geographical spread of candidates and are subject to change if there are fewer than 12 candidates per venue. Equally, an additional date/venue may be added if there is sufficient demand.
Wed 15 - Fri 17 February RESIDENTIAL COURSE (Moreton Hall School, near Chirk)
Fri 17 February CONCERT (Moreton Hall School, near Chirk)
The three day NYJW Access Course will take place at Moreton Hall School in February. During the course players will work in small ensembles with of our team of professional coaches, led by Percy Pursglove. In addition to music making, members enjoy a lively entertainment programme run by the pastoral staff. Activities usually include sports such as swimming, football and rounders and evening events such as quizzes, talent nights and much more. The course culminates with a performance alongside members of the NYJW Big Band in Moreton Hall School's Musgrave Theatre.
COST OF MEMBERSHIP
The total cost of the course is £95.00, to be paid in two instalments in December 2011 and January 2012.
We are keen to ensure that no-one is deterred from applying for NYJW Access for financial reasons. All applications for assistance are treated in strictest confidence.
Print and complete the pdf application form below and post to the address shown on the bottom of the form by 30 September 2011.